bogo-subheader

HISTORY

Bogo Hymn

Lyrics by: Teodoro “Dodong” Pedroza
BOGO DAKBAYAN NGA MATAHUM,
SA ‘YANG KATAWHAN GIPANGGA, GIAMPINGAN
SA ATONG LALAWIGAN,
MISULBONG ANG KAHAYAG DI HITUPNGAN
PADAYON BOGO, PADAYON
PADAYON AYAW PAGHUNONG
KAY ANG KALANGITAN NAGDAN-AG SA IMONG DALAN

ANG GASA SA KAHITAS-AN LAWOD SA KATUBHAN
KALUBIHAN, UG MAY KAMAISAN
ANG IMONG KADAGATAN PUNO SA KAISDAAN
ANG IMONG PALIBOT SA KATAWHAN GIKAIB-GAN
BOGO DAKBAYAN NGA MATAHUM,
SA ‘YANG KATAWHAN GIPANGGA, GIAMPINGAN
SA ATONG LALAWIGAN,
MISULBONG ANG KAHAYAG DI HITUPNGAN
PADAYON BOGO, PADAYON
PADAYON AYAW PAGHUNONG
KAY ANG KALANGITAN NAGDAN-AG SA IMONG DALAN
KAY ANG KALANGITAN NAGDAN-AG SA IMONG….
DA… LAN…

•    Seal and Logos
Bogo City Logo

•    Tree – Dominating the center of the seal, the Bogo tree symbolizes Bogo itself, as the name “Bogo” derives from it where it has become a landmark for the natives and traders back then.
•    Stars – represents the 29 barangays comprising the town of Bogo. These 29 barangays are Bogo’s stars, and there continue flickering even in the thick of clouds.
•    Peace, Progress and Prosperity –
•    2007 – the established year Bogo had become a City.

Bogo Then

Bogo – derived its name from a lone bogo tree or Garuda floribunda, which stood on the shore where Bogo wharf is now. Under its spreading shade, natives and incoming traders in sailboats loaded with goods barter each others products. Thus, the spot became a hub for traders and merchants as well as for nature lovers. Some of these traders stayed and married locals of the place.

The year 1600 paved way in the founding of a settlement which was eventually transformed into a barangay where the Bogo Central Extension now stands. While the barangay was part of another growing community of the north (now known as the town of Daan Bantayan), natives enjoyed freedom of self-rule athough they continued to pay tributes and taxes to the chieftain of Daan Bantayan. Eventually, the barangay grew in prominence and thus was separated from Daan Bantayan and became known as the Town of Bogo.

In January 1850 the Bishop of Cebu, appointed Spanish friar Fr. Jaime Micalot as the first parish priest of Bogo and decreed Saint Vincent Ferrer as the town’s patron saint. The first mass was celebrated in the hastily built chapel on April 5, 1850, to coincide with the death anniversary of the patron saint. This chapel was later gutted by fire and a new stone church was constructed at the place where the Bogo Town Plaza is now located.

Around this time, the Spanish authorities in Bogo introduced civil government. Pedro Aballe became the first Cabeza de Barangay or mayor from 1864 to 1869. Senator Pedro L. Rodriguez, popularly known as the Grand Old Man of Bogo named one of the oldest streets of the town after him. In those times, a cabeza de barangay took charge of the collection of tributes to support the encomienda system of Spain. Later the tribute was substituted by the “papelita” (cedula) which the individual paid in two installments annually. A taxpayer who could not afford to pay the cost of papelita in the amount of P1.50 was made to work on local projects at fifty centavos a week. Because of this, a good number of delinquent taxpayers escaped and hid in the mountain fastness of Bogo.

Bogo City Now

Many historic moments have transpired in Bogo ever since, but to this date the most releavant would have to be the proclamation of Cityhood of Bogo.

During the 13th Congress (2004–2007), the House of Representatives re-adopted former Joint Resolution No. 29 as Joint Resolution No. 1 and forwarded it to the Senate for approval. However, the Senate again failed to approve the Joint Resolution. Following the suggestion of Senator Aquilino Pimentel (Senate President), 16 municipalities filed, through their respective sponsors, individual cityhood bills. The 16 cityhood bills each contained a common provision exempting it from the ₱100 million income requirement of RA 9009 –

“Exemption from Republic Act No. 9009. — The City of x x x shall be exempted from the income requirement prescribed under Republic Act No. 9009.”

On 22 December 2006, the House of Representatives approved the cityhood bills. The Senate also approved the cityhood bills in February 2007, except that of Naga, Cebu which was passed on 7 June 2007. These cityhood bills lapsed into law on various dates from March to July 2007 after President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo failed to sign them.

The plebiscite for the cityhood of Bogo was held on 16 June 2007 in which 97.82% of voters of Bogo voted for cityhood. Former representative Clavel Asas-Martinez announced that the cityhood of Bogo has been ratified. It became the third component city of Cebu province.

Although there had been multiple times the City lost its status due to court misunderstandings and revisions, on June 28, 2011 the Supreme Court directed the Clerk of Court to issue the entry of judgment on the cityhood case of 16 municipalities. This entry of judgment ended the cityhood battle of the 16 cities. Thus making it finally official from “Municipality of Bogo” to now “City of Bogo”.

Today the City of Bogo stoods as a fast growing City in the north of Cebu. Although known for its sugarcane production and fishery, the City has been open to commercial establishments catering the needs and wants of the locals and visitors. The progressing City continues to excel, continuously developing business infrastructures for livelihood and liesure sites for tourism. As a lumad na Bogohanon would say, “Padayon Bogo!”